HPL is a laminate using high pressure and this is one of the finishing materials commonly used for furniture such as interior surfaces and furniture products. This material is very good as a cover for the table surface, interior decoration, cabinets, kitchen sets, and other furniture. Increasing costs and decreasing the amount of supply of materials such as wood and the increasing number of requests for furniture with environmentally friendly materials have made this HPL material a fairly popular material for finshing furniture products. HPL materials currently play a role in the world of furniture because it is in great demand, especially for furniture made from multiplex.
Whereas finishing using plywood with patterns such as teak, mahogany, sungkai, nyatoh, megateak has begun to be abandoned slowly but surely. HPL is more practical, faster and cheaper compared to other finishing materials. The impact caused by the increasing interest in this material is the reduction in sales turnover for finishing materials and the increasing number of unemployed finishing workers who have relied on their work in the sector.
Objective Strength of HPL (High Pressure Laminate) Material Every finishing material must have advantages and disadvantages. For this reason, before using certain materials to be used as finishing, it should be considered carefully by looking at what the advantages and disadvantages are. The following are the advantages of finishing furniture with HPL are: • HPL has a variety of colors and surface colors that can be used.
Most of these materials are colored and patterned from various types of wood. But there is also a memorable metallic color.
• Another advantage of HPL is water repellent. Not only that, this material is also quite scratch-resistant even though it’s not 100% scratch resistant. HPL is indeed a strong material because the main ingredient is PVC hard plastic and a textured surface.
• This HPL is also stronger than sheet material which is usually used as cheap furniture upholstery in ordinary furniture stores.
• Other excesses of HPL materials for finishing are cleaner work compared to duco and sanding paints. This is because the use of these materials must be glue on the multiplex. For this reason, for multiplex furniture craftsmen, HPL materials have the advantage of being clean and fast.
• HPL also has an ‘edging’ product variant to facilitate the construction of furniture in the edges that are too thin.
• By using HPL materials in the finishing process no more finishing sprayers are needed so that it can be said that the finishing process becomes very practical and fast.
• Using HPL materials also costs lower. This is because finishing furniture with HPL does not require the use of specialized finishing services, but only with carpenters.
• HPL has the same furniture colors and motifs, so there is no risk of dappling like the result of finishing using duco paint.
• HPL has many types such as wood motifs, metallic, solid colors, granite motifs, marble motifs, and others.
• HPL is suitable for finishing furniture that looks modern and minimalist.
Objective Weaknesses of HPL (High Pressure Laminate) Material
Apart from the advantages, it turns out that HPL also has several weaknesses that you need to know. Here are some weaknesses in using HPL materials in finishing furniture, namely:
• The first weakness of this HPL material is that the process is a little difficult if it is to make a small curved field with a radius of only 5cm.
• Cutting an imperfect HPL can look neat at any angle.
• Physically the HPL material is very hard, so the flexibility level is very low. For that, if you are not careful about its use, maybe you will easily break it and this will certainly increase the production costs.
• The coating on HPL material is also often released when the glue process is not perfect.
• The appearance of the HPL material is not as fancy as the appearance of a Duco Cat.
• When compared with Decosit, HPL ingredients are slightly more expensive.
Thus reviews of weaknesses and strengths of HPL materials for your finishing furniture. May be useful.